When I found this double wing back chair for $25.00 I couldn’t believe my eyes! I have to admit though, I left the store without buying it. But, about 1/2 an hour later, I went back because I couldn’t stop thinking about it. LUCKILY it was still there when I went back. Phew!
I have to admit, I reupholstered this chair 3/4 of the way with this fabric, and I just could not convince myself that I liked it. So…..I redid it. I think my husband thinks I’m crazy…let me rephrase that he KNOWS I’m crazy, and luckily he puts up with it.
So after I decided that the orange fabric wasn’t the look that I was going for, I did some searching and I found these two images below. The first one is from Pottery Barn, and I love the colors. The second picture is from Pier 1, and I decided to look for a fabric with a little more pizazz.

I was INSTANTLY in love with with fabric when I found it at JoAnn’s for 9.99 a yard (but I used a 40% off coupon). So I got it for 5.99 a yard, and I used right about 10 yards.
The process of reupholstering is slow and very time consuming. But, it is extremely rewarding.
I am NOT an expert on this, and my friend Jen helps me a lot. She’s my go to girl on reupholstering. She gave me great advice when I started. She said, “Just take it apart and see how it was originally upholstered.” So, each chair that I attempt is COMPLETELY different than the last. So, if you are ready to tackle a reupholster project, take Jen’s advice.

I’ll show you one small concept that helped us finish this wing back chair though.
The “wings” of the chair were a bit of a challenge, and between my husband Dan’s help and Jen’s advice, we came up with this solution. Click on the image to make it larger.
Here she is after she is completly done! I have to admit, I got a little burnt out with this one after reupholstering her almost entirely TWO times! That’s my fault for changing my mind…but that’s my right, I’m a woman! :)

Total Cost: $60.00 for fabric and $25.00 for the chair. Total cost $85.00!!

I completely agree with your second choice in fabric, the end product looks fabulous! I really wish I knew how to reupholster. Ohhh, the inspiration!

Its so pretty, you definitely made the right choice with Fabric #2. I love the little matching pillow in the background too :)

3. Anonymous says

Whoa..you blow my mind..I don't know that I'd be patient enough for that duty! It looks absolutely fabulous!!!

So insanely jealous!! I have been dying to do this! I foun a double at Pier One, but you girl, dang! You get the BEST finds. I can't find a thing at my DI. It is SOOOO picked over! I am working on a chair right now! Love it daaling!

Loved your idea for the wing-back part. I'm looking for a couch to reupholster for my toy room. And I really like this idea. Love your fabric!

6. 1scrapnmomma says

Okay well since I am in love with this chair I have to ask you to call me if you ever want to sell it! LOL Or you can email. You did a fantastic job. It's remarkable.

Wow!!! I found your blog through the Nester, and am so glad I did. Your chair is AWESOME!! So lucky you found it. Can't wait to attempt that myself. Nice job!!

Found you on the nestfiles… and can't even believe this post! I have a wingback rocker with ugly fabric, and I'm thinking I'll have to give it a go! What a fun blog you have!

9. Anonymous says

Do you remember the name of the fabric. I've been searching for months for that perfect fabric; it needed to have blue in it! I think this is it! LOVE the chair. I'm wanting to do a single wingback chair

I'll be completely honest. I can't decide if I'm totally or just mostly obsessed with wanting to make one of these. :) It is gorgeous. And I love that you pulled it up to the table (I think this is the one, anyway…)…

oh my goodness gracious – I LOVE IT!!! Love the fabric…you were definitely right to switch midgears…if you find another one at Goodwill, you're welcome to bring it on to my house LOL what a neat piece! great job!!

OMGosh…I love that fabric…you got an awesome price for it! Your $85.00 makeover looks outstanding…come by and show it off at my NIFTY THRIFTY TUESDAYS PARTY:)

13. CnR says

I am in the middle of reupholstering my kitchen chairs that I scored off Craigslist and have been searching for a big floral print with red, black, green, and blue. I love your chair and that fabric. Did you get that at JoAnn's? Is it a Home Decor fabric or is it a sewing cotton fabric? I'd really like to know where I can but it.

I have been reading your blog for a long time trying to convince myself that I can refinish furniture for my home and I finally did it last week. I primed and spray painted my Grandma's buffet, a table that I found on Craigslist, and now the chairs for the table. I also have a wingback chair, a loveseat, and a couch that I will be recovering. Thank you for all your information and especially the tutorials and recommendations on tools and paint.

I really hope my comment isn't too late to be seen by you. I am dying to get that fabric!

Thank you so much!

14. CnR says

I don't know how many times I have read your post about this chair without realizing that you stated where you found the fabric – JoAnn's! Thank you!

Do you remember what the fabric collection is called? I am having a hard time finding it on the JoAnn's website. I hope it's not a retired collection.

I stumbled across your blog this morning and so glad I did. I love it! This chair is awesome and you chose perfect fabric. You make it look so easy. Thanks for sharing your tips.

16. Tara says

Ever since I saw this…I had to have one and have been scouring Craigslist. I just scored one instead at our local Habitat ReStore! Can't wait to do this. Now, to just find the right fabric!

Wow! Wow! Wow! You aren't crazy. You're crazy BRAVE and talented! The piece is gorgeous. I absolutely love it! You're right, the second fabric choice is so much more festive. I am now a follower!

I’ve really enjoyed looking around on your blog. My first time here. I have paid upholstery experts lots of money to do pieces and they didn’t turn out nearly as nice. You’ve given me the courage to attempt something like this all on my own! Eeeeek! :) Good luck with your no-diet-coke, btw, I quit about 6 months ago, best thing I ever did!

19. Joyce says

Clicking on the image does NOT make it larger? at least not in I.E. 11.

Is the Pin It function new and perhaps over-riding it? Cannot read the little teeny words on the pictures……..rats, I still need to know how to do this wing-back.

• Brooke says

Thank you for letting me know! I just uploaded the file so that it will do that now! When I switched from Blogger to WordPress, apparently it messed up that feature, and I didn’t know until now. Thank you! Her is the link: