We went to Home Depot and Lowes to check out their tile selection, and after laying it all out on the floor of the stores, I was super excited to get it home and start laying it out on the table. My husband Dan is a rock star and figured out all the hard stuff for me like measuring the space and figuring out how many tiles needed to be cut…etc.

I loved the decorative style of the tiles, but I especially loved that the color was neutral so that I can change the color in my kitchen anytime and the tile will still match.

I even took it to the next level and sticky tacked it in place. I’m such a visual person that it helps to be able to “see” what it will look like. :) I chose to have the decorative tiles alternate across the bottom of the back splash.

With the help of my father in law, my hubby finished it this weekend. I’m absolutely PUMPED! I’m in love with it!

The decorative flower tile was perfect for above the stove top, but I needed it to be bigger because it needed to take up a larger portion of the space. So, my husband had the idea of putting smaller square tiles around the outside of the flower tile to extend the design. It was a brilliant idea! Then we finished it off with a small grayish frame-like tile.

I wish I would have taken pictures of the process, but I wasn’t there for most of it so I guess you’ll have to live with the before picture below to show the contrast.

Here it is all done!

All in all, the tile and supplies cost right around $110.00. YAY!

We have now lived in our house for 10 months and it is starting to feel like “ours.” My cute hubby even installed some oil rubbed bronze handles and knobs in my kitchen and all my bathrooms for me. It helps to have handles and knobs to open drawers and cupboards when my hands are full. It seems like I only have one free hand most the time because my littlest daughter is in the fit throwing stage of life! Hopefully you can relate.

I need to do something nice for my hubsters for helping me so much with projects…anyone have any great ideas?

Comments

I love it. And the fact that it is neutral is great. Oh, and congrats for doing so well on SYTYCD. My friends at church thought it was awesome you are Ben's cousin (in-law) because they follow you…what a celebrity.

As always it is great to see you working within a budget. I love tiles placed on point. The look so sophisticated. Just love your husband and forgive him his little foibles. Cherrie

Love this project! You both did an amazing job! My husband would love it if I got him good tools, but he also loves chocolate! I am sure he will love whatever you decide to do for him! Just keep telling him how amazing he is!

Wow, the back splash is absolutely beautiful. I love the tile you chose. You and your hubby make a great team. Also congratulations on the SYTYCD contest. What an honor. The competition was amazing to follow.

That back splash looks fantastic! And I love the vivid color on your wall – I'm glad I'm not the only one in blog land who's into color.

As for the husband I would just light some candles and seduce him when he least expects it :) It's the thriftiest "present" imaginable, usually MUCH appreciated and it can be given again for Christmases and birthdays and – well you get the idea :)

6. The Yoder's Four says

I LOVE the backsplash! It adds so much to the room. In fact, I love your whole kitchen. I would die to have that much counter space…

You seriously have a great husband who is so handy. He probably already has a lot of tools, but I know my husband never gets tired of getting a really nice piece of equipment (that will help you do MORE projects, of course). ;)

7. Lori says

Looks great! My backsplash is similar and it's one of my favorite things in my house! Little things like that make such a big impact!

8. The Beach Barn says

Nice job! I love the decorative tiles you set in at a diagonal. Did you find those at Lowe's or Home Depot? I don't think I've ever come across them in the stores near me??? (I live in So Cal)

9. Robyn says

Just think how much value you've added to your home for only $110.00
    buck-a-roos! Makes me want to enroll hubby in one of the DIY classes at Lowes…LOL!!! It looks awesome!

10. Grumpy Pants says

Love it! The design really transformed your kitchen and the hardware made a huge impact. You are blessed to have a hubby who is handy.

11. Tattered Butterfly Studio says

Wow and for only $110.00! Isn't great to have a supportive hubby! My dh did glass tile for our backsplash in our kitchen last year! Love your blog.

12. Tristie hearts Dax says

How neat to have your husband on board with all your projects. You should give him what every man likes: a hot night after the kids go to bed.

13. Traditional Dreaming says

You have such amazing taste! I love it! I gave a reference on my blog about your window valance. I got my "window box" idea from my nieghbor, then noticed you did something very similar after I finished my boxes! You can check out my post about it by going to traditionaldreaming.blogspot.com

I am sooo in love with your kitchen, Brooke! I'm just itching to do fun things…I'll refrain while we're still living here, though, to save Dan the heart attack. ;)

This has been forever, but does he like you to give him massages? That always seems to do the trick here.