If you missed the preview post for this project, this chair is my friend Amber’s. She bought her for only $12.00 at the local thrift store.
We’ve been working on reupholstering it for a few weeks. When we got done with the front of the chair, I realized the the back was going to be a challenge. So we took a break and strategized (with the help of my go-to girl Jen of course!) Jen suggested a package of nailhead trim at JoAnn’s for 10.99. It contains 10 yards of trim plus matching nails.(I have oodles left).
Since the legs of the chair were black, we sprayed the nailhead trim black.
Then I stapled on the back piece of fabric being careful that the staples were lined up as best as possible. This part is tricky because you have to pull the fabric tight as you staple it.Click on the image below to enlarge it.
Then I used the nailhead trim to cover up the staples.
The back piece of fabric was curved in spots, and that created a problem that I could not use a tacking strip to finish the sides. So, my friend Jen suggested that I used nailhead trim and it was such a great solution. In fact, Amber said that this is actually her favorite part of the chair.
I love how it turned out, and it makes the chair look sophisticated in my opinion. The more chairs I reupholster the more I learn, but I can’t say that I feel like an expert. Reupholstering is a challenge, and just when I start to get comfortable, I realize that I’m still a novice at best.
It took a lot longer than we planned but we endured through the challenging parts. Now Amber gets to enjoy her. Doesn’t she look like she was designed for this room! I only wish I could keep her.
I think the before and afters on this project are incredible. What a fun project!
More from my site