I am very excited to present WEEK 1 of my new “Blogger behind the Blog” series. For the next ten weeks, the series will run on each Wednesday here at All Things Thrifty. I have asked some super-star bloggers and even a communication professional to answer some questions about blogging, and they have been great to participate.
The first question was, “What have you done to grow your blog?”
Shelley from House of Smiths
In one word: NETWORKING.
- I think the first is that I blog about something that I am passionate about. I love creating projects and trying out new things. I started it as a place to store my creative ideas, not knowing it would grow into something bigger.
- The second factor is remembering why I started blogging; it helps me maintain my passion for creating and keeps me from burning out.
- The third thing is being featured. I was featured a few times by a few different bloggers and those features really pushed my blog along. Consequently, having had those great experiences, it has made me really love to give back. I love to feature people and in some small way I hope to do the same thing for other bloggers.
- The fourth factor is networking. I loved linking up to linky parties and going around and commenting on every project. It was fun to get to know people through those parties and I made some wonderful friends that way.
- And the last thing that has helped my blog to grow has been surrounding myself with a tribe of other bloggers who all promote and support each other. It’s nice to have a group of people to bounce ideas off and who will give you advice when you are having a bad day.
It’s all about content. You can pull every trick in the book to get your blog to grow, however if you don’t consistently deliver your personal best, followers either won’t stay or won’t follow to begin with. Offering unique content, excellent photos, good writing and frequent posts are all part of that magical recipe.
Other helps: hosting a weekly link party, linking up to other parties for exposure, guest hosting, and using social media to bring them back to your blog.
The best thing that has helped my blog grow is getting featured on other web sites. Whether that be from guest posting, link parties or featured posts… that has driven the most traffic to my blog. The best thing you can do is to put yourself out there. Start asking bloggers (similar size to your blog) to do blog swaps and e-mail some of the bigger bloggers as well. I’m sure most of them would love to feature you!
Tauni, a communications professional from Snap.
Blogging is such a unique medium, but the key to really growing your site is similar to almost any type of business – it’s all about relationships.
By building a relationship with your readers, your blog will flourish. Here are five ways you can work on building relationships of your own:
• Incorporate a story into each post – even your tutorials – that will provide the reader with a little insight into who you are.
• Comment on other blogs and respond to comments on your site (we’ve just posted some great tips for this on the SNAP! site).
• Utilize social networking tools like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to provide additional insight and further the conversation.
• Guest post! It may or may not drive a lit of traffic to your site, but it will broaden name recognition and reputation.
• It can be a little odd at first, but meet with as many of your readers as you can in person! There will never be a substitute for personal contact.
Hi readers, it’s me, Brooke again. The answers have reiterated to me that this series is going to be AWE-SOME. I cannot wait to learn more each week. Thank you to all of our amazing contributors who answered this question!
Next week’s question:
How do you keep up with your amazing websites AND take care of your families.
Stay tuned every Wednesday for more Blogging 101 discussions!